Saturday, March 12, 2011

Practical use for a Cricut

Hi, Marlene here.  I was inspired to create an altered object with my Cricut Expression by a project done by Donna.  I bought an ordinary mailbox at the hardware store.  Using Cricut vinyl, I made a stencil to paint my house numbers on a mailbox.  The numbers were cut with From My Kitchen and the outside oval is from George on silhouette.  Design Studio welded the numbers as one file, then the oval was placed around the numbers again welding the characters.  Welding the characters made it possible to edit the whole project as one cut.  The flag side numbers were smaller than the other side while the front numbers were scaled down to fit on the lid.

All of the mailbox except the outline of the numbers and oval was covered before painting.  I only wanted the paint in the negative space of the cut-out.  White was layered on until dark enough that the original green did not show through.  Krylon "Glow in the Dark" paint was sprayed in the final layers.  The Krylon makes the numbers reflective which is perfect for a rural mailbox.

For cutting the vinyl, a 12 x 24 mat was needed and I recommend a very sticky mat.

This was a pretty quick project  and shows another practical side of the Cricut.  Now I'm all ready to receive some new scrappy supplies.

5 comments:

  1. Graet idea!! The oval really makes it stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! Using Cricut to make stencils could open up a whole new world. I can see it on stadium chairs, bicycles, backpacks - really anything that needs identification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great idea!!! The numbers look perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good idea!!! Another project to add to my list...a name and address plaque for our house :)

    ReplyDelete