Hi All, Michelle again! For my second project to share this week, I am sticking with the Cricut Cart Organization theme.
I am one of those scrappers who likes to utilize the many carts I have. I have realized that if I buy a 'shape' cart, it needs to have a font on it. It took me a while to come to this realization, but once I started this trend, I tend to use my 'shape' carts quite a bit more. Having as many carts as I do, I tend to lose which cart has which font, or which cart has a font for that matter. This is a project I have wanted to do for a while, and once I started it, I wished I would have started it before I got this many carts deep.
What I did was create a Cricut Fonts Book.....
I had a Zutter Bind it All 7.5x5in Flat Spin Cover-All that was just begging to be used on this project. I wanted the cover to some what match the Cricut Book Box I just decorated, but I didn't want it the exact same. So, I used the Car Decals cart again and this time cut a girlie Cricut head at 3.5inches. Since it is girlie, I decided (with the help of my 6 year old niece) that the accent color should be pink, not green. The bow on the girlie Cricut is normally white negative space. I just filled it in with Fruit Punch Stickles....hey, if it is girlie, it has to have the bling factor. I did mimic the title fonts, again using Car Decals and Baby Steps. Once I got my cover glued down, blinged and finished, it was time to figure out how the heck I was going to do the inside.
I think I may have gotten a little over zealous with the amount of pages I added to my book. I cut down 12x12 Bazzill Basics white cardstock to 7.5x5inch pieces. I wanted to have enough for all the carts I have at this point, plus I wanted extra for any carts I get in the future. I was also thinking maybe at some point I can put some of the sentiments that I use more often in their as well....but, that is another time...way down the road. I got out my handy dandy Bind it All 2.0 and started to punch holes in the pages, threaded the O-Wire, clamped them and then realized I had no clue how to organize my carts to cut off of them!
My first step was to figure out which of my carts had fonts, and which one's didn't. Out of all the carts I own, 35 ended up having fonts on them. I started to go through the books randomly and realized that it wasn't going to work this way. So, I set them up on my counter top, in Alphabetical order so I could keep better track of which books I have cut out of.
Once I got them all set up alphabetically, I started in on the cutting. I decided that I was going to just cut the regular fonts. I have only used a shaped font (monogram, balloon, skull) once in my 10 years of scrapping so I figured why waste the space....and the resources. My first thought for cutting (which I tried and it didn't work out very well) was to run my piece of cardstock through my Xyron 900, then cut it with my Cricut. First off, you have to put the piece of paper upside down on the mat and make sure the the 'Flip' button is pressed. I did this for one cartridge and realized it was just too much of a hassle. Last night before I fell asleep I had the idea to use Cricut Vinyl. Marlene suggested the same thing to me today, so I gave it a try and it worked wonders!
I got out my handy dandy label maker (again, NERD alert) and put which cart the cut is off of and which setting I have my Cricut on. So far I am loving having this book. It is handy and hopefully I will utilize all my carts even more than I do now!